Monday, August 6, 2007

Homeschooling and Ailing Relatives

This is my first year of homeschooling. Last summer, I had just made the decision to homeschool and had all the books/supplies on order when my grandmother had a massive stroke. All of a sudden I went from starting a homeschooling lifestyle to starting a homeschooling lifestyle in between shifts at my grandmother's bedside. The bad news was that my own body was now stretched to new limits and I developed new lows of sleep deprivation. The good news was that I knew I didn't have to rush home to meet a school bus and, when necessary, could bring our "school" with us in the trunk of our car.

Things have since evened out and we are now making visits to the nursing home a scheduled part of our lives. We are almost through with our first year and I can't imagine making a 180 degree turn in my children's education ever.

Contributed by Dawn

No comments: